Your Rights Under Section 504

In accordance with the requirements of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Ogden City will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in admission or access to its programs, services, or activities including federally assisted programs, services or activities. This is a notice of your rights under Section 504 and the rights you have if you disagree with the City’s decisions.

What is Section 504?

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, commonly called “Section 504,” is a federal law that protects citizens from discrimination based on disability. Section 504 assures that persons with disabilities have opportunities and services equal to those provided to persons without disabilities. To be eligible, a person must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity.


Ogden City does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring or employment practices and complies with all regulations promulgated by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission under Title I of the ADA.

Effective Communication

Ogden City will generally, upon request, provide auxiliary aids and services leading to effective communication for qualified persons with disabilities so they can participate equally in Ogden City’s programs, services, and activities, including qualified sign language interpreters, documents in Braille, and other ways of making information and communications accessible to people who have speech, hearing, or vision impairments.

Reasonable Accommodations to Policies and Practices

Ogden City will make all reasonable accommodations to policies and practices to ensure people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all of its programs, services, and activities. For example, individuals with service animals are welcomed in Ogden City’s offices, even where pets are generally prohibited.

Anyone who requires a reasonable accommodation of policies or practices to participate in a program, service, or activity of Ogden City may contact Ogden City’s ADA Coordinator or the City Department that is sponsoring the event. The request is to be made as soon as possible, but no later than 72 hours before the scheduled event. Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication to participate in a program, service or activity may refer to the City’s Reasonable Accommodation Policy. Anyone requiring an auxiliary aid or service to participate in a City Council Meeting should contact the City Clerk’s Office at 801-629-8155 as soon as possible, but no later than 9:00 A.M. on the day of the meeting.

The ADA does not require the Ogden City to take any action that would fundamentally alter the nature of its programs or services, or impose an undue financial or administrative burden.

Complaints that a City program, service, or activity is not accessible to persons with disabilities are to be directed to the City’s ADA Coordinator.

Fair Housing Complaint

If you feel you have been a victim of housing discrimination based on the seven federally protected classes (disability, race, sex, familial status, age, religion or national origin), you have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The Fair Housing Act protects people from housing discrimination based on the protected classes. To file a complaint, contact:

Denver Regional Office of FHEO
U.S. Department of HUD
1670 Broadway
Denver, Colorado 80202-4801
303-672-5437 TDD/TTY 1-303-672-5248


Utah Anti-Discrimination and Labor Division
160 East 300 South, 3rd Floor,
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
801-630-6801 TDD/TTY 1-801-530-7685