Alcohol Licenses

Businesses selling alcoholic beverages must obtain both city and state alcohol beverage licenses. The city license and local consent approval must be obtained prior to application for a state beer and/or liquor license. Separate licenses and fees are required in addition to a general business license. The sale of beer and/or liquor is also subject to a special (occupational) tax by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the U.S. Government.
Ogden City beer licenses are classified as follows:

Ogden City beer licenses are classified as follows:
  • Class A: On-Premise Retailer
  • Class B: On-Premise Restaurant
  • Class C: On-Premise Tavern
  • Class D: Private Club
  • Class E: Single Event
  • Class Fax: Recreational
Liquor consumption licenses are required for private clubs and restaurants that sell alcohol as well as beer. A single event permit is available through the State of Utah for the temporary sale of alcohol.


A minimum of 21 days should be allowed for gaining approval of the City alcohol/beverage license and signing of the local consent form. State licenses are normally approved by the State Liquor Commission on the fourth Friday of each month.

Applications should be recorded and fees paid to Ogden City prior to the 10th of any month to be considered at that month's State Liquor Commission meeting. State forms and fees are available online, fee schedules and applications for the City are available on the second floor (north end) of the Ogden City Municipal Building.

The following are the steps to complete before submitting an alcohol license application.

Planning / Zoning

Contact your local zoning office to ensure that your business location is properly zoned that will allow your business be there. The office is located at:

Zoning Office
2549 Washington Boulevard, Ste 240
Ogden, UT 84401
Phone:801-629-8922 or 801-629-8930

Registration of a Business Name

All entities doing business in Utah under an assumed business name must register with the State of Utah, Department of Commerce. If you are using your own name as your business name it will not need to be registered. A filing fee is charged based upon the type of organization. The Department of Commerce is located at:

State of Utah Department of Commerce
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, 84111
Phone: 801-530-4849 Toll free (in state only): 800-721-7233

State Tax Information

Most businesses are required to collect and remit sales tax for goods (and some services) they provide to consumers. For information related to income tax, sales and use taxes, and other applicable state taxes as well as information concerning applications for a state tax number may be obtained from the Utah State Tax Commission. The Utah State Tax Commission is located at:

Utah State Commission
2540 Washington Boulevard
6th Floor
Ogden, UT 84401

Weber-Morgan Health Services

Contact the Health Department for information if you will be running a business that has food services. Please contact Weber-Morgan Health Services at:

Weber-Morgan Health Services
Environmental Health
477 23rd Street
Ogden, UT 84401
Phone: 801-399-7160 

Alcoholic Beverage Control

Contact the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control if you plan on having any alcohol at your location. Please contact the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control at:

State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
1625 S 900 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
Phone: 801-977-6800