Development Projects in Ogden

Developing Property in Ogden

It could be anything from making a small lot subdivision from your existing property to something bigger, like developing a larger parcel into a hotel, an apartment building or a larger housing development.

Whatever the case may be, it's always best to familiarize yourself with laws, ordinances and requirements governing not only the property you want to develop, but the type of development you are wanting to build.  The best first step in this process is to present your idea to the Concept Review Team.

Concept Review Team (CRT)

Ogden City's Concept Review Team (CRT) is comprised with representatives from Planning, Building Services, Engineering, Water, Sewer and Ogden Fire Department.  Combined, this group is able to meet with the Developer and give an initial review to proposed projects.

CRT meets every Wednesday morning at 9:00am. If you would like to be added to the agenda, please call Ogden City Planning Department at 801-629-8930, or email at 

Project Reviews

  1. After the initial CRT review of the project, submit site/civil plans to Ogden City Planning. 
  2. The plans are then reviewed by all necessary departments. 
  3. The Developer / Contractor is given a list of corrections needed and/or additional documentation required.
  4. Once all of the conditions are satisfied, the developer procures the necessary permits for the project.  
  5. The permitting process will include Financial Guarantees, Building Permits and Engineering Permits.

Predevelopment Reviews (Subdivisions, Lot Combinations, Boundary Line Adjustments, etc)

"Predevelopment" is preparing a property, or group of properties for a development project.  The most common Predevelopment projects are Subdivisions, Lot Combinations and Boundary Line Adjustments.

Lot Combinations are the combining of two or more parcels to make a larger parcel for development, while Boundary Line Adjustments can move the boundary between two parcels, whether for reasons of development or to adjust the official land records to match existing conditions on the ground.

Subdivisions divide a property into smaller parcels for individual ownership.

For Subdivisions, a mylar plat of the project is required, where owners, lienholders, utility companies and Ogden City officials have approved and signed off on the project.  The mylar must be recorded at Weber County before any permits can be issued.

Development Reviews (Site Plan Review)

This review is a staff-level review of the site, and how the proposed developments will fit onto the property.  

Some items reviewed are:

  • Zoning: What type of building or development is allowed per zoning ordinance
  • ROW/Easements:  Existing utility or access easements, and rights-of-way that may be located on the property.
  • Setbacks:  The required setbacks for the Front, Sides and Rear of the property.
  • Parking:  Parking requirements for the proposed development. 
  • Driveway/Lane/Street:  Width requirements for paved access to (or into) the property.  Internal lanes and streets have the same minimum width requirements as a city street.
  • Fire Access: If the proposed development is large enough, or extends far enough from the city street, a hammer-head turnaround or a cul-de-sac may be required to accommodate emergency equipment.
  • Utility Requirements: Flow and pressure tests may be required to make sure the city utility mains have adequate capacity to accommodate the needs of the proposed development.
  • Landscaping: The trees, shrubs and other landscaping required by ordinance for the new development.

Predevelopment and Site Plan Reviews CAN be run concurrently.  

Building Plan reviews, however, cannot start until all necessary Predevelopment infrastructure improvements have reached substantial completion (Water and Sewer mains are in place, and roadways are paved).

Building Plan Reviews

Building plans are taken in and reviewed by Plan Examiners to make sure that all aspects of the design are compliant with the latest editions of Residential and Commercial Building Codes, as well as all state and local amendments to the code.

Building Plan reviews can start once the Site Plan review is complete and has been approved by Planning.  

If the property that the building is being constructed on is going through any Predevelopment work, that work must reach a point of substantial completion before Building Plans can be received by the City for review.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If your project involves a change in use, and includes new residential units, additional building and fire codes may apply!  Please contact Ogden City Building Services for more information. 801-629-8950

Developer, Contractor & Subcontractor Prequalifications

Any Developer, Contractor or Subcontractor wishing to do work in the City Right-of-Way (ROW) must be a licensed professional with one of these classifications, and who has insurance and bond on record with Ogden City.

Pre-Construction Meeting

Prior to beginning construction, a Pre-Construction Meeting will take place, usually at the Ogden City Municipal Building.  This meeting includes all of the Construction professionals (contractors and sub-contractors) who will be working on the project, as well as many people from the Development Review Team.  At this meeting, the approved plans will be reviewed one last time, schedules for utility taps finalized

Once the Financial Guarantee and Contract are received by the Project Coordinator, and the Pre-Construction Meeting has been held, the Engineering Permits can be issued.  Most projects will be issued both a ROW/Site Work Permit and a SWPP Permit.  

Development Permits Issued

ROW/Site Work Permit

The ROW/Site Work Permit has the same insurance & bond requirements as a standard Right-of-Way permit, but does not have an expiration date, as site work generally takes several months to complete.  This permit should include all fees for required infrastructure improvements (taps, meters, excavation fees, etc).

Stormwater Pollution Prevention (SWPP)

In plain English, Stormwater Pollution Prevention (SWPP) is keeping dirt, rocks and other construction materials and debris from leaving a construction (or demolition) site and getting into the gutters and storm water system.  Over time, storm drain pipes and culverts can become completely clogged with silt, dirt and debris, rendering them incapable of draining water properly and causing flooded roadways and other hazardous conditions.  In addition, construction materials that enter the storm system are washed into local rivers, lakes, and streams without treatment. This can pollute delicate ecosystems that rely on clean water sources to survive.

SWPP remedies this problem through the use of Best Management Practices (BMP's), designed to reduce and eliminate soils tracked off of the site, as well as those that run off during storm events.


When are SWPP Permits Required?

An Ogden City SWPP Permit is required when:

  • Construction activity will disturb land greater than or equal to 5,000 square feet, or
  • Construction activity will disturb land within 300 feet of a watercourse, or
  • Anytime a Utah Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (UPDES) Permit is required (see below).

A Utah Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (UPDES) Permit is required when:

  • Construction activity will disturb land greater than or equal to 1 acre, or
  • Construction activity is occurring on a lot that was originally greater than 1 acre but has been subdivided after October 1992 into separate lots that are smaller than 1 acre. This is referred to as a “Common Plan of Development”.

If it is determined that a UPDES Permit is required, then you will need to determine which type of UPDES Permit is needed. Here are some UPDES Permits and when they would be necessary:

  • General Permit for Storm Water Discharges from Construction Activities or “Construction General Permit (CGP)” – This permit is required for all projects that disturb land greater than or equal to 1 acre as well as all Common Plan of Development sites intended for industrial or commercial developments.
  • General Storm Water Permit for Construction Activity Connected with Single Lot Housing Projects or “Common Plan Permit (CPP)” – This permit is required for all Common Plan of Development projects which are related to residential dwellings.

UPDES Permits are required and administered by the State of Utah Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and Division of Water Quality (DWQ). For further information on UPDES Permits, please refer to the Utah DEQ website.

Ogden City has developed the following flow chart to help you determine which SWPP Permits might be required for your project (Click to download PDF version):

SWPP Flowchart