The City Right-of-Way

Right-of-Way Areas 

The City Right-of-Way (ROW) area includes city streets, curb and gutter, park strips, and sidewalks (where present), and vary in width from 50ft to over 100ft in width

Below are examples of common Right-of-Way configurations found throughout Ogden City (Click to enlarge):

ROW - Standard (WEB) Opens in new windowROW - Single Sidewalk (WEB) Opens in new windowROW - No Sidewalk (WEB) Opens in new window

UDOT Right-of-Way

UDOT Permit: On State Roads, all work performed in the roadway (from back of curb to back of curb) requires UDOT approval and a UDOT Permit, and MUST conform to UDOT standards.

City Permit: All work performed in the UDOT Right-of-Way (from back of curb to Right-of-Way line) requires an Engineering Permit from Ogden City, and MUST conform to Ogden City Standards.

Both Permits Required: If your work takes place in both the roadway AND the city-maintained portion of the Right-of-Way, then permits and inspections from BOTH agencies are required.

UDOT ROW Diagram Opens in new window

Right-of-Way Widths

Because Right-of-Way widths may differ from street-to-street, and there are times that the ROW line is located several feet behind the sidewalk or curb, it is recommended that you contact the Engineering Division at 801-629-8990 to verify ROW location and width. 

Who Can Work in the Right-of-Way?

Only Licensed Professional Contractors, who are insured and bonded with Ogden City, and who have a valid Engineering Permit may work in the Ogden City Right-of-Way.  See the Permits page for more information.

Working Near Trees in the Right-of-Way

Trees in the park strip and other areas of the Right-of-Way are owned and maintained by Ogden City.  All concerns dealing with tree trimming, broken branches or the general health of city trees should be directed to the Ogden City Urban Forester (801-629-8284)

Contractors working in the Right-of-Way must also take measures to protect the city trees. Please see document linked below:

Protecting City Trees while working in the Right-of-Way

For more information, please see the Urban Forestry Contractor Packet