Ogden City Water has issued a declaration of moderate water shortage effective through October 15 or until further notice.
Read our Summer 2021 Water Conservation Newsletter Here!
The winter of 2020-2021 produced less snowpack than usual, and as a result, Ogden’s primary water source, Pineview Reservoir, has only filled to 56% of capacity. Low spring precipitation conditions and warmer weather have resulted in water releases from the reservoir to outpace inflow. Governor Cox issued an Executive Order declaring a State of Emergency due to drought conditions on March 17, 2021.
Applicable provisions of Ogden’s Water Shortage Management Plan are in force, and all residents are asked to take the following steps to conserve water for the remainder of the summer:
- Outdoor watering is prohibited between 10 am and 6 pm
- This violation is enforceable by fines beginning at $50 for the first violation and ranging up with subsequent violations
- All residential water customers of Ogden City are encouraged to reduce their water use by at least five percent, and commercial water customers are encouraged to reduce their water use by at least fifteen percent
- Maintain and properly adjust your irrigation system to avoid wasting water. Adjust watering times based on weather. Grass needs less water than you think
- Avoid hard-surface washing of sidewalks and driveways (Except for health or safety)
- Use a positive pressure nozzle when washing vehicles
- Use a swimming pool cover when the pool is not in use. Lower the pool water level by four inches to minimize water loss from splashing
Ogden City’s Water Manager, Brady Herd, said “Lawn irrigation is the largest culprit of water waste.
Overwatering, broken sprinklers, and excessive overspray, can result in thousands of gallons down the drain. We encourage our residents to call us to get a free sprinkler checkup. We will show them ways to save water while maintaining a healthy lawn.”
Visit these websites for additional Water Conservation tips:
General questions should be directed to the Ogden City Water Conservation Coordinator: 801-629-8329.
Contact: Justin Anderson
Public Services Deputy Director